Hard at Work

Now that I've started the actual program, most things are going pretty
smoothly. I don't work with any of the other Purdue students so I
have no idea what they are up to. Also, my Chinese is definitely not
good enough to conduct research with. Luckily research papers are
just about all published in English so I can still do something while
I'm in the lab. Speaking of which, I was clearly unprepared for the
amount of time I would have to be here on the first day. 8:30 to 6 is
their average day with a lunch break, but yesterday was their weekly
meeting at 7pm as well. On top of that it poured right after the
meeting, so I couldn't ride my bike back until around 9:30. All the
people here are extremely friendly, in fact, one of them is taking me
to the gym today. I get all sorts of questions about the US, so
hopefully I don't misrepresent you guys.

Other observations. The air quality in Beijing is what I would
consider to be poor at best. During the day, when the sun is out, if
you were to look out your window, the smog is so bad that nothing in
the distance is visible. When I first arrived, I just thought that it
was always really foggy here. Via my typical ineptitude, it took a
few days for it to dawn on me that the air pollution is worse than any
other place I've ever been.

More notes. Hot water in the dorms only runs for three intervals
throughout the day: 7-9am, 3-5pm, and 8pm-12am. I'll probably forget
about that at least once while I'm here. Finally, air conditioning
still does not work. Currently looking for alternative solutions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment