Winding Down

As with any stay away from home, it seems weird that my time in China
is coming to an end. Tomorrow is my last day in the lab, but I do
have another week before I get the boot from my dorm. I would really
like to come back in the future, if for no other reason, to improve my
Chinese. I think the absence of other English speakers in my daily
life here has paid huge dividends towards that end. Sometimes I see
other Americans in my dorm and I am tempted to approach them, but I
always remind myself that there are plenty of them back in the US.
I've come to feel somewhat comfortable with China, at least living
within a university. I still can't really tell if I belong here, or
if I could settle down in a place like China. Likely, I've just
forgotten about some of the things that I've been missing from home.
That being said, who knows what China will look like in another 20
years. Most of the reports of China's rapid development are true, and
they certainly have every intention of catching up with the west in
most areas. Although, until they have cleaner bathrooms, I still give
the US a slight edge.

The whole lab is pretty tight here. They like to climb stuff
together. On Sunday, we are climbing some undisclosed mountain.
Actually, they told me what it is, I just can't remember the name in
Chinese for the life of me. Also, it rained today. I still suck at
riding a bike and holding an umbrella at the same time. It didn't
help that when class let out, the streets were flooded with water and
people. Finally, the spent the day fixing the air condition in the
lab. One day before I leave. Nice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment