Lucky Strike

I wish I had more meaningful and insightful things to say, but I
don't. So I'll just tell you about some things that have happened in
the past few days. Friday was pretty fun because we got to go out and
watch the US play. The bar we went to seemed to be a bit dilapidated
though. Maybe that was part of the ambiance, I don't really know.
Also, they had some local bands performing some variation of music;
whatever, I didn't really pay attention. All I saw was a guy dressed
in a panda suit. Draft beer was about $0.75 for around 500ml for a
couple of hours, so at least they had that going for them. Saturday
and Sunday were sweltering, so I avoided them by staying in my room.

Yesterday, I was asked to give a short presentation about some work
related topics. Since I couldn't explain a mathematical model for an
action potential in Chinese, I did it in English. This was good
because it severely limited the amount and difficulty of questions
that I received. Also, it gave me freedom to pretty much say whatever
I wanted.

Recently, I realized that one of the things that I've taken for
granted is how friendly everyone has been to me. It took them all of
a day or two to welcome me into the family that is their lab. Maybe
it's because I entertain their, often ridiculous, questions about the
US, or perhaps, I'm just a novelty to them. For example, with regards
to the former, one of the guys in the lab seems to think that all high
school students ever do in the US is get into fights. Period. Either
way, things probably couldn't have worked out better. Plus, I think
my Chinese is starting to show noticeable improvement as are my
chopstick and bicycle riding skills. Still haven't done any useful
work here, though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment