Time Flies

Well, the holiday is over and I'm back at work. Just a quick update
on the past three days. We went to a bar called Lush on Sunday since
they were having open mic night. Fun stuff (No, I didn't attempt to
embarrass myself either). Since we are in the University area of
Beijing there are tons of foreigners there, and so the local bars are
always packed with them. I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel at
least a little weird to see them all there. So, yup. Pretty much
took Monday off, walked around the Summer Palace again on Tuesday, and
then went to Hou Hai yesterday. Last night, Huiwen also took us out
to dinner. We went to a Sichuan restaurant, so naturally everything I
offered was spicy. I may or may not have paid for that later... but
anyways. We ordered a bunch of small dishes, and then Huiwen and I
decided to split a big pot of super spicy vegetables, hopefully the
picture is attached. However, after we started eating it, Huiwen
decided she was full, so I was stuck eating this thing all by myself.
Spicy foods and I are quite well acquainted, but a lot of Chinese
spices are different. For those of you who haven't experienced full
on Chinese spicy-style food, some of the ingredients they use makes
your mouth go numb. Yeah, I know. Weird (or awesome?). Anyways, it
was fun, if not also miserable.

Today, a handful of guys from the lab were planning to go to Chengdu
for a seminar. However, one of the guys lost his cell phone sometime
earlier today, so in the midst of sorting all of that out, he decided
he couldn't go. Since they had already made arrangements for three
guys to go, after the third guy backed out, apparently they were
looking for me to take his place. Unfortunately I wasn't around at
2pm when they were looking, so they just had to go themselves.
Bummah.

Also, I can't get a handle on this weather. It's downright cold
today. Why is it so cold? It was like 38C yesterday. That's like
100F for those of you across the pond. Today it feels like less than
25C. It's like Indiana, but worse. World cup anyone? South Africa's
chances are not looking good. They just might make history for the
wrong reasons.

As I was writing this, the lady behind me was eating an apple, and she
would not close her mouth as she chewed. Now, I know that's a pretty
common thing here, but it is arguably one of my biggest pet peeves if
not the biggest. I mean it was like a friggin mastication exposition.
Ok, I just had to get that out there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment