Oops

The World Cup started yesterday. So we went into town to watch it at
a local pub. I didn't realize there were so many South Africans and
Mexicans in Beijing. Unsurprisingly the place was packed.
Surprisingly, they actually ran out of glasses. At one point, Robert
asked the waitress if the bottles of beer, Coors light nonetheless,
were still 10 kuai a bottle. She said yes, so Robert told her that we
would take three of them. Her reply was, "Sorry, we are all out of
those." Unbelievable. But it was good to catch up with him and talk
about living in China from the perspective of an ABC. And for those
of you who know Robert, you know that he alwasy finds himself in the
most ridiculous of situations. And, based on some of his stories,
that clearly has not changed. As it turns out, I am supposed to work
today and tomorrow, and then take three days off. Definitely would
not have stayed out that late last night if I had realized that.
Also, my alarm clock is set for weekdays only, so it didn't go off
this morning. Luckily, the miserable 5am sunrise woke me up so I
wasn't too late today.

So one of the guys in the lab defended today. Though, he didn't
really end up doing much defending. After his presentation, hardly
anyone asked questions. His presentation was a bit long, and perhaps
no one understood it. I surely didn't.

Also, as you know, internet, on the whole, is pretty awful here.
Super slow, and super censored. Worst yet, it just cuts out
sometimes. Fast, reliable, usable internet is probably the thing I
miss most.

0 comments:

Post a Comment