p-p-p-power blog

So not much has happened since last time we met, but in order to
fulfil my obligatory blogging duties, let's just take a look at where
we are now. A week left to go in the lab, and hopefully I can extend
my dorm room reservation until the 10th so I have a place to live
until I leave. I was supposed to go to eat at this interesting
restaurant yesterday where the waiters and waitresses are all
students. However, after a bike ride, half an hour on the subway, and
a trek through a funky neighborhood later, we found out that we needed
a reservation. Right. Not to be discouraged, we just went to a mall
and had dinner there. The real unfortunate thing happened when we
came back to get our bikes. Apparently, the parking area closes and
locks before 10pm. Luckily, someone from the lab lived right by the
station, so we borrowed her bike (I rode it with the other person
sitting on the back. Super Asian style.). And somehow we all
exchanged bikes later today. Ta da.

So, I've been asking a lot of the Chinese students if they are excited
to come to the US. They all seem to reply by telling me the visa
application an arrangements are a pain in the pi gu (that means butt
btw). Also, for some reason I like to ask them what they are most
worried about during their stay in the states. And for this, every
single one tells me that they are afraid it won't be as safe. Now,
I've been in China for a month and change now, and I can safely say
(pun intended) that I feel more secure back home. Not that I feel
unsafe here, I just have a greater sense of security when I'm in the
US. Likely, it's just a consequence of familiarity in addition to the
fact that I feel like I have a greater chance of not dying were
something to happen in the US. (I don't even know if this is true.)
But I think it comes down to this: Since we can all buy guns in the US
if we wanted to, I think Chinese people believe we spend half our time
eating McDonald's and the other half of our time shooting each other.

Ok, the lab has actually worked themselves into a frenzy of
productivity. I should do something.

0 comments:

Post a Comment